Thursday, May 31, 2012

Crossing Over to Vodka



Now, normally I would would rant and rave all day about wine because yes, that's my new "it thang" these days but anyone who knows me, knows that if I see something that I like and may want to try or just flat out want, I will gladly cross over and try it. Which is why I must share about this vodka called Double Cross. Back in my college days I used to be a fan of different vodkas (Lord only knows why) But at that time me and my college buddies only had a few nickels to rub together to get our drinks so the vodka was kinda low budget, okay I'll admit it, on a bad day it would be bottom shelf vodka. They got the job done, but would leave you with a cheap, terrible tasting drink, a pretty bad hangover and probably some regret somewhere in the mix. However, Double Cross vodka ain't your typical college vodka.
It retails here in PA for about $35.00 a bottle which is pretty typical for a good vodka and it seems to only come in one size which is the larger bottle. The aesthetics alone enticed me to pick this bottle up and I had only seen it online before while sleuthing around online but in person it really is a kool site to see.
It is covered in white, cursive writing which I have yet to read or decipher, but I'm sure under the "inspiration" of a cocktail or two with this vodka, I'll find out what it says.  I may be reaching a bit but, I would honestly have to say that this vodka could very well be up there with Belvedere, Grey Goose or Pravda vodka (Or surpass them). It has one of the smoothest tastes that I have tasted yet and it seems to mix well with other drinks too. I think I'll have to test drive Double Cross a little more to see what interesting concoctions I can come up with.  So far Double Cross definitely has my vote and apparently on the website there are quite a few drink recipes that would tickle just about anyones fancy. Here is one of the many cocktail recipes listed on the Double Cross Vodka website shown below. Enjoy!






Double Dare 

  • 1/2 slice jalapeño
  • 2 lime wedges
  • 1 oz blood orange juice
  • 1/2 oz agave nectar
  • 1/2 oz orange juice
  • 3 oz Double Cross™
Muddle jalapeño and lime wedges with blood orange juice in a mixing glass. Add the rest of the ingredients and ice. Shake well and strain into a rocks glass filled with ice. Garnish with orange