Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Shochu

I was feeling adventurous one day on my way to find something new to try out. I found this interesting looking bottle that stood out to me amongst the rest, its Yokaichi Mugi Shochu. It is a type of Japanese barley spirit and the use of Shochu is very similar to how we use Vodka in our mixed drinks.
Upon my purchase I couldn't wait to get home and check out some kool recipes on how this can be used. So while searching I took a very small shot of it just to test the waters (I don't do so well drinking shots) but it was surprisingly smooth, it was quite strong but it was actually smooth to the taste and I found out that it also mixes well with other drinks too. One recipe that I was dying to try using this Shochu was the Strawberry Shochu. It entailed a variation of fresh strawberries or strawberry liqueur and Shochu. Some of the fancier recipes included things like Sprite, Cointreau, and even yogurt or some other mixture that would sweeten the drinks taste. I opted for the Shochu Strawberry Margarita to try out and it worked perfectly. This drink is of course nicely priced for those who just want to experiment with something different to tickle their palettes. When I found this Shochu it was roughly about $13.99 if I am not mistaken. There was not too much of a need to go all out to buy a new drink that I would potentially not enjoy so I opted for this and have not really been disappointed in my choice. I've posted a view Shochu recipes below (courtesy of slashood.com) to give a jump start on how to work with this drink. I was also told that this beverage can be consumed warm so feel free to experiment with it any way that suits you! Oh and also check out
this site as well. Its drinks are for "Haamonii Shochu" but I am certain that the recipes will do well with any brand of Shochu. http://blog.haamoniismooth.com/the-ultimate-list-of-shochu-and-soju-recipies/



Shochu Margarita
2 ounces Shochu
1/2 ounce Cointreau
1 1/2 ounces fresh lime juice
*Mix and pour into a salt-rimmed margarita glass. Garnish with lime wedge.


Shochu Strawberry Margarita
1 1/2 ounces Shochu
1/2 ounce strawberry liqueur
1 1/2 teaspoons Cointreau
1 1/2 ounces fresh lime juice
*Mix all in blender with ice. Pour into a salt-rimmed margarita glass and garnish with a fresh strawberry.

Shochu Gimlet
2 ounces Shochu
1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
*Mix together and garnish with a lime wedge. 


Shōchū