Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Out and About in Philly: To-Kai Sushi & Hibachi Steak House

Attention! Attention! Attention! Sushi lovers, foodies, and lovers of great restaurant atmospheres!
Napkin at To-Kai (Pretty cute, huh?)
I must fill you in a very quaint and tranquil restaurant located in the North East section of Philly on Grant Avenue. Its called To-Kai. (They do not have an official web site but you may click here to view their menu page)  About 2 or 3 Saturdays ago a friend and I journeyed to this hidden little gem. I remember a while back she had been telling me about a highly suggested sushi restaurant that she previously had gone to for a date and that the food was excellent. So she contacted me and we hit the road and decided to go stuff ourselves on a mid afternoon for our sushi fix. I wanted to try everything... but I controlled myself and settled for one of the popular signature appetizers: the Avocado Blossom which was made from a half of an avocado shell: containing baked avocado, crab meat, surf clam and masago sauce. It was delish and I might have to try this recipe at home one day. We then ordered the Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice. This dish came in a half of a pineapple and contained fried rice with shrimp. And of course we could leave it at just that. We also ordered sushi rolls such like Shrimp Tempura, Salmon roll, California roll, Spicy Tuna Roll and the Crunch Roll which contained shrimp tempura, cucumber, massago, tempura flakes & avocado At To-Kai, presentation is definitely key. I see that I'll be coming back to this place for my future sushi fixes. The menu prices were very reasonable and you'll get a lot of food for your dollar so I can almost promise that you will not regret trying out this new little spot. Oh, and the cherry on top is: its also a BYOB place. So grab your wine bag and your finest saki (Okay, it doesn't have to be your finest saki but remember to bring something!) And if you happen to forget your wine, saki, or bottled adult beverage, then they have a pretty lengthy cocktail list to choose from.
Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice

Salmon Roll and Crunchy Roll
This may not be the most flattering pic but it was delish!